The Historic Mable House
Robert Mable (1803-1885), a native of Scotland, immigrated to Savannah, Georgia.  When he heard of the Georgia Gold Land Lottery of 1832, Mable purchased 300 acres in the area that became Cobb County.  He and his family lived in a log cabin until 1843 when he built a sawmill and began construction of a plantation plain house.  Upon moving into the Mable House, the cabin became the location of the first school (private) in Mableton.  The Mable House was used by Federal troops during the Civil War as a field hospital.  Wounded soldiers were cared for by Mrs. Mable.  This kindness was the basis for the decision to leave the Mable House intact instead of burning the house and outbuildings.

The Georgia Pacific Railroad received land from Robert Mable.  When the depot was built on the south side of the tracks west of Church Street, the engineer named the station "Mableton" after the Mable family.  Mableton became a city in 1912.  Four years later, the citizens voted to unincorporate to avoid the raising of taxes to pay for needed road repairs.

Today the Mable House is on the National Register of Historic Places.  The facility is under lease to the Cobb County Board of Commissioners and is operated as part of the Cobb County Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs Department.

The historic site comes alive when the Friends of the Mable House host the fall Storytelling Festival,  school field trips and summer heritage camps. Public tours are available every Thursdays 8:30-12:30 during the hours of the Mableton Farmer's Market June-September.